Thursday, June 12, 2014

From the Dominican Republic with love


My dear online universe, I'm alive! 

It may seem that I have completely forgotten you, which is not entirely true. I was just busy living my life lately, rather than writing about it. Unfortunately, my recent adventures have finally come to an end. So here I am, pretending to enjoy the heat that has finally hit my country, and attempting to organize my thoughts into a decent article. 
The last month included a few take offs and landings and I finally managed to cross the Atlantic for the very first time. It may not seem like such a big deal to normal people but surviving a 10-hour flight seems like quite the achievement for a seriously nervous flyer (aka me).










Punta Cana Airport

Flying for what seemed like ages was absolutely justified on my very first morning in Punta Cana. I managed to get up a 5 am (not a big achievement, considering I was jet lagged anyway) and caught the Dominican sunrise. To be honest, this is quite something, since I'm normally busy sleeping or partying at this ungodly hour. Therefore, due to the lack of many comparisons, the sunrise at Playa de Arena Gorda seemed magnificent, at least to me.



Lonely footsteps




 Having the beach all to myself was another perk. I walked for miles and the only sign of human presence were my lonely footsteps in the sand (for the sake of writing I'll pretend I didn't notice the massive resorts that are stretching along the coast). It was another one of my spiritual moments: being alone yet not lonely, feeling connected to nature, looking at the ocean and thinking that everything familiar is all the way across it.















 This blog was supposed to be about fashion, it turned to be with no direction whatsoever. Oh well (again)...


I packed so lightly for this trip, I fitted almost everything in my cabin-size suitcase. After all, how much space do bathing suits and sunglasses take. I think I did enjoy a fashionable moment though, as I got to wear my fairytale-esque Maje dress for the very first time. 






I paired it with my Alexander McQueen shoes, which I've been wearing so much, I think they may have gotten a vintage quality to them. 




The more I travel, my curiosity towards otherness grows stronger. All-inclusive-tourist sounds almost like a dirty word to me, so I tried to avoid falling into the stereotype although I did stay at an all inclusive hotel. I'm happy I met some lovely local people and took interest in their lives. The children from the video bellow were my favorite thing out of the whole trip. I thought that the 10 dollars I gave them were the best spent money ever, only to find out later that they have a "jefe" who takes virtually all they make. Silly me. Oh well...




Beach essentials






breakfast for champions



Before I knew it, it was time to go. After all, what are 12 days in paradise. I was splashing in the Carribean sea and a few hours later I was over the Atlantic, experiencing some major turbulence. On my way to the airport it occurred to me that wherever we go, we leave a little bit of our hearts and we take a little bit with us. Every trip changes us, and hopefully, when we come home, we are a better version of our old selves. 




x




No comments:

Post a Comment